The podcast audience is extremely loyal and susceptible to advertising. However, a well-thought strategy backs every successful campaign. Podcast advertising is not an exception. In order to obtain the desired result, you need to consider the basic stages and work with responsibility and creativity.
The following 4 steps can help you with that.
Step 1: Decide why and whom
Similar to every advertising campaign, you should first outline the target audience and the goal of the launch. You must clearly understand why and what you will offer. Outline a demographic group, interests, and needs. Describe in great detail the end result. It can be both the increase in brand awareness and audience or sales.
Step 2: Find what’s popular in your niche
Discover popular podcasts in your field. It will help you identify your audience’s interests and what advertising location will bring the biggest result.
When studying podcasts, pay attention to the following things:
- The number of downloads or subscribers
- How actively and regularly new podcasts are published
- The duration of an episode
- Types of advertising and who advertises [your product or service will side other ones!]
- Topics discussed
- Listeners: who they are and whether they are your target audience
Step 3: Form the budget
Your budget will depend on the duration of your advertisement, the number of episodes you want to place your advertising in, and the price of each advertising placement. You must remember that podcast advertising is a long-term investment. You will need weeks or even months to see the result.
One of the best ways to save money on podcast advertising is to use out-of-charge or discount advertising placements. Most podcasts offer free placements for new sponsors. So do not hesitate to ask about special offers. You can also search for podcasts that offer discounts for advertising placements in specific time periods.
Step 4: Create appealing advertising
Your advertisement must be developed in a way to attract the target audience. Sounds evident, but often, when developing advertising messages, we forget about the recipient.
Voice advertising is one of the most effective. However, you should take responsibility for its creation.
The basic algorithm looks like this:
- Write an audience-oriented scenario. Make sure that everything is brief and to the point. Do not forget to add a CTA.
- Find those who can present your advertising organically. A relevant performer can establish whether people listen to your advertising and do what you want them to.
- Record advertising on quality equipment. It will thus sound professional. Use sound effects and music to draw attention and withhold interest.
- Edit the advertisement to make it clear. Make sure it does not sound like one long advertising.
Advertisers often sponsor the release of podcasts to promote their goods and services. When you sponsor a show, you typically become part of a community, and the audience gains trust in your brand. You can use podcasts to share the history of your company, discuss your mission and values, as well as tell customers why you’re the best in your field.
Podcast sponsorship offers an ideal correlation between the topic of a show and the products or services of your company.
How to find a relevant podcast?
There are lots of podcasts that discuss various topics. It both simplifies and complicates the search for a podcast to cooperate with.
What to consider:
- Make sure that a podcast correlates with your brand’s values. Cooperate with those who share the same mission and vision as your company does.
- Consider the number of subscribers. A show with a broad audience is great for an increase in coverage, but a more niche show can turn out to be more efficient and interesting for your customers.
- Find out whether a podcast has sponsors. If so, what are these enterprises? Make sure you will not face direct competitors.
The cost of podcast sponsoring varies depending on the channel’s popularity and the duration of sponsorship. In most cases, you can count on a fee between $15 and $500 per episode. For example, for a small show that has 1000 downloads per episode, you can charge $18 for a 30-second pre-roll advertisement. At the same time, a more popular show with 10 000 downloads per episode can charge $500 for the same placement.
The price also goes up if you consider a longer sponsorship or want to sponsor several episodes.
For example, a sponsor who wants to participate in every episode of a popular podcast can pay $5000 for an episode. The one who wants to take part only in one episode can be charged $500.
The best way to establish sponsorship expenses for a specific podcast is to contact them directly.
Negotiations and agreements
Negotiations are the next step after selecting a podcast. There are several recommendations that will simplify the process of negotiations:
- Begin with an address and ask for the price list for sponsors. Be ready to negotiate, relying on your budget and the price you are ready to pay.
- Try to combine sponsorship with other marketing instruments and ask for discounts available. For example, if you also buy an advertising placement on the website of a show, you can get a discount for a partnership.
- Do not be afraid to offer a lower price. The worst thing they can tell you is simply ‘no’.
- Be ready to pay in advance. The majority of podcasts charge payment before your advertising goes live.
If everything is done correctly, podcast sponsorship can become an extremely effective way to enter the B2B target market. A correctly selected podcast to promote your business is the key to successful sponsorship.
Podcast advertising is definitely a great way to introduce your company and build quality communication with the audience. With a developed strategy and systematic work, you will increase brand recognition, build trust-based relations with the audience, and increase sales.